If you’ve always wanted to buy an herbal oil, but didn’t like the prices at the store, why not try infusing your own? It’s a simple process, and you’ll probably save some money too. In this video, I show you how to make a calendula solar infusion of olive oil (or another oil of your choice).
While making a solar infusion is not a fast process, there is something satisfying about creating herbal oils for wellness and culinary usage for family and friends.
Cautions: Do not use calendula during pregnancy or breastfeeding (safety has not been established for use during these times) or when taking sedative-type medications as it could cause excess drowsiness.
Be sure to watch the video below, and here’s a simple recipe to print also.
- Glass canning jar and lid (whatever size you want)
- Calendula dried herbs (enough to fill 3/4 of the jar
- Olive oil (or oil of your choice)
- Start with a clean, sanitized jar (I run mine through the dishwasher.)
- Fill the jar 3/4 full with dried herbs.
- Pour oil to completely cover the herbs and about 1/2-1 inch over the top.
- Turn upside down to completely mix and return to right-side up.
- Let sit in a warm, sunny place for 3-4 weeks.
- Strain out the herbs with cheesecloth or muslim.
- Bottle the oil.
- Label with name and date on the jar.
- Store in a cool, dark place.